The beast from the east has well and truly hit the UK. If you have to make a journey on the roads, here are some top tips for driving in the snow.
- Accelerate gently – use low revs and change to a high gear as quickly as you can
- Pull away in second gear to help keep the wheels from slipping
- Maintain a safe distance between the car in front of you, leaving as much as 10 times the usual stopping distance
- Keep your speed down and allow yourself plenty of time to stop and steer
- If you do encounter a skid, steer gently into it. Don’t take your hands off the wheel or stamp your foot on the brakes
For a further help on how to drive in the snow, visit the RAC website.